👤 About Joshua Spodek
“Everyone knows how to be authoritarian, but not everyone knows how to lead.”
“Just because you can measure something, doesn’t make it more important.”
“Learning is learning, whether it’s through technology or not.”
🎧 Episode Summary
- Why leadership can’t be taught and why it has to be experienced
- How Joshua transitioned from being a physicist to an entrepreneur
- Why the “smartest” people are often those who comply the most at school
- The difference between leadership and authority (don’t confuse the two)
- Why community work is often called “soft” in the business world
- How Joshua found himself in North Korea and why he’s so passionate about leadership coaching
- … and more!
🔥 Rapid Fire Questions
Favorite book? Tao Te Ching by Lao Tzu (adapted by Ron Hogan)
“The dancer is realistic. His craft teaches him to be. Either the foot is pointed or it is not. No amount of dreaming will point it for you. This requires discipline, not drill, not something imposed from without, but discipline imposed by you yourself upon yourself. … Your goal is freedom. But freedom may only be achieved through discipline. In the studio you learn to conform, to submit yourself to the demands of your craft, so that you may finally be free.” ~Martha Graham
What do the words “it will come” mean? “It will come if you work at things, if you put the effort in.”
If you could choose any animal to be, what would you be and why? Platypus.
Any final piece of advice? Check out spodekacademy.com/itwillcome
📌 Reference List
Below is a list of links referenced in the episode:
👌 Cool Quotes
Also published on Medium.